The fact that American history books tout Columbus, whose real name was Cristoforo Columbo, as anything other than a fucking idiot, shit for brains navigator, or a completely amoral imperialist monster and oppressor should show you that a) history is written by the winners and b) nobody cares in this country since 99% are descended from the “winning” team (south and central american indians that have immigrated to this country not withstanding).
A few facts you may not know about ol’ Chris:
1) Never set foot on the land we know as America. He just skipped around the islands of the Caribbean.
2) It took him over 7 years of begging to get the crown of Spain to fund his trip after the King of Portugal and the King of England rejected his proposals.
3) He and his crew brought syphilis into the New World
4) He so grossly underestimated the circumference of the Earth that he estimated the trip from the Canary Islands to Japan (which he figured was just east of China) would be roughly 2300 miles when in fact is almost 19,300 miles.
5) Did not have to convince everyone that the world was round. The vast majority of scholars in the Old World had accepted the Round Earth theory since the days of Aristotle back in the 4th century.
6) Columbus was not the first european to reach the New World. The Norse had done so over 500 years earlier
7) Even though we happened to celebrate it on the right day this year, Columbus landed on a yet to be determined cay in the Bahama cluster on October 12, 1492 (not the second Monday of October).
8) He died a reasonably wealth man in Spain at the age of 55 still very much convinced that he had actually reached and sailed the eastern coast of Asia.
As a student of Latin American history and culture I can tell you that there are many stories about Columbus and those that followed him and they do not paint the “discovery” of America by europeans in a good light. I’m sure Darth would not be surprised to hear things like Catholic missionaries building churches over Maya wells to force the indigenous population to come into the church and pray to get drinking water or that thousands of “indians” were captured and shipped back to Spain as slaves or that Columbus counted the conversion of “non-Believers” at the end of a rifle as his primary reason to discover the fastest route to the heathen populations of India and China and as his ordained mission on Earth.
Typical lunatic Christia…. well I’ll save that commentary for Darth.
With all due respect,